Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Giant Praying Mantis

Every Tuesday, myself and three girlfriends get together at a local Starbuck's for our weekly coffee night. Every week for the last few months we've sat outside except when it's raining, or if there were no available tables. Tonight we were able to sit outside.

As usual, we talked about the goings on in our lives, acted silly and generally enjoyed each other's company. Our coffee nights are my fave.

As the night was coming to a close, a praying mantis landed itself on the curb of the sidewalk and the parking lot, a foot away from our table. And this just wasn't any praying mantis, this was a giant one. Like, 5-6 inches long. It was huge. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera, so I wasn't able to take a picture of it. From what I was told by my friend was that it was a female because it was brown and not green, and females are vicious. Great.

So here we all are staring at this giant praying mantis, not wanting to move. We all sat there discussing it for at least 10 minutes, before deciding to slowly make our exit. We all started walking to our cars and the praying mantis didn't move.

I don't know what it was doing, but it would sit still, then rock back and forth. Then it would move its "arm" up and down. I wonder what the guys at the other table thought of us four girls freaking out about a bug...

Oh, the joys of coffee night. :)

*Jessica

No comments: