Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years


It's been ten years... 
...since freshman English. 
...since the United States were attacked. 
...since I was confused and thought it was an accident.


I didn't realize it was an attack on us until lunch time that day. The principal made an announcement that morning right after the first plane hit, saying something had happened, and that all classes were able to keep their televisions on throughout the day. After my english teacher turned on the television, we saw the second plane hit. I just thought it was a coincidence that each tower was hit. I'll never forget the images on that television. 
 Everything seemed so surreal. 
 As the day continued, most of the students were watching the TVs and the teachers didn't think teaching anything would be worth it. I learned at lunch that the US was attacked. I overheard a few teachers talking about their husbands and how they were evacuated from work. (They worked on base. I live near Wright Patterson AFB.) The rest of the school day was a blur to me. 

 When I got home, my mom sent my brother to the convenience store down the street for a few copies of the special edition of the newspaper that was printed. 
The rest of the night we spent glued to the television.


Now, ten years later, I'm more thankful for our military and service men and women than ever.

1 comment:

amy b.s. said...

it's amazing how 10 years later, it still has such an emotional impact on me when i see the photos.