Thursday, October 20, 2011

And She Thinks We're Just Fishin'

My dad has five kids. I'm his oldest.
And yes, I still live at home.

As you know, or may not know, we've been doing construction in our basement for a bedroom for me, and a few random other things. 
Well, I've been helping out and a couple of times it was just me and my dad.

Remember this post?
About this hole?

While we were digging this hole, this song came on the radio:


We were both listening and singing along, and when the chorus came on, instead of singing "...and she thinks we're just fishin'", my dad sang "...and she thinks we're just digging a hole".
It was quite humorous.

At the time, I didn't think anything of it.

But on Sunday, on the way to the Bengals' game, he said "And she thinks we're just fishin'."
He wasn't singing, he just said it.

Then I got to thinking. This is kind of our new song. Kind of like for couples, only it's father and daughter.
And I love that.

And then last night when we were talking about where to go to dinner, my dad suggested Fricker's and everyone but me said no. 
So I told him that him and I would need to fishin' there together, since no one else in the house likes it.
And of course he chuckled. :)


I've always been close with my parents, but I've never really been a mommy's girl or a daddy's girl.
So it's really nice that my dad and I have this thing.

I hope that when I'm a mother one day I can have a special thing with my children.
Something different for each of them, though.

Do you have anything special with your mom or dad?
What about with your children, if you are a parent?

*Jessica*

5 comments:

Lin said...

Aw, this is actually really sweet.

I've always been a daddy's girl but I can't say I have a special thing or inside joke with my dad. I'm glad you guys have this to connect over :)

Jennifer said...

That's really awesome. I like that song, and I don't think it applies to my relationship with my dad, but I hope someday I find one that we can relate to as a duo:) Yay for great songs and great times with your dad!!

Sunny & Star said...

I love that song. It is so heartfelt and moving.

Marie@PoutyPinkPrincess said...

Very sweet! It's moments like those that you will remember forever!! :)

Amanda said...

that song makes me think of my daddy! I've been hunting and fishing with him since I was little! Always have the best time with him :)