Monday, September 30, 2013

My Precious Shadow

It's been a little while since I last posted. And this post is in the late afternoon. I'm definitely breaking some of the unwritten rules of blogging, but I don't care. I want to write this post regardless.

I've been going back and forth about posting this, but I feel like I need to.

Two weeks ago, I lost my cat.

My beautiful Shadow.
He was an outdoor cat and loved to spend a lot of time in nature. At night I sometimes had to use my sister to get him inside for the night. She had this knack for getting him to come to her so she could grab him and bring him in.

That Sunday was the last time I saw him. He was on our neighbor's porch just lounging like a cat would do. He didn't come in that night. I didn't see him all day Monday or Tuesday. There have been a couple of times where I didn't see him for a couple of days, so I wasn't that worried about him.

Wednesday I had to open at work. When I left my house, I thought I would look around my yard and see if I saw Shadow lounging somewhere in one of his favorite spots.

I saw him. He was laying at the back of our neighbor's fence. In my gut, I knew something wasn't right, but it didn't stop me from walking over to him. And it wasn't a pretty sight. I was in shock. Something attacked him. I don't know what, but I know it didn't kill him instantly. I think he was attacked and was trying to get home to me and only made it to the fence.

My stepmom was off work that day so I walked back in the house and told her I found him. Then I started crying. I called Zach and told him. And I still had to go to work. My stepmom wanted me to let her I know I made it to work safely so I let her know when I got there and she told me that Shadow was taken care of. Zach came and visited me at work with 3 different things of chocolate.

On my way to work I was pretty teary. I couldn't get that image of my precious cat out of my head. Once I got to work, it kept me distracted. I kept it together most of the day, until my coworker asked me how my day was. The rest of the day I kept it together until I got home. I knew I had to call my grandma and mom and I was dreading it. My grandma is the one that got me Shadow when I graduated high school. I cried through both conversations and for a little while after. I had plans to have dinner with a friend, and I knew it would keep me distracted, so I kept them. After dinner, I didn't want to go home, so I met up with Zach and a few friends. I didn't go home until after midnight.

I know Shadow was just a pet, but he was my baby. He cuddled with me every night and most mornings. He came to me when his food bowl was empty. He knew I was Mom. And I miss him like no other.





RIP Shadow. I love you so much!

3 comments:

Pleas(e) and Carrots said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Pets are an amazing part of our families and to lose one is devastating.

Becky said...

Aww jessica I'm so sorry for your loss :( I think pets are just like family and to lose one is truly heartbreaking.

Brandy said...

Oh Jessica. I've been thinking about you ever since you told me. :'(
He was precious.
Like I said before, pets are family. It hurts like hell to lose them.
You have my number, text anytime!