Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Learning My New Camera (Finally)

A few years ago, Zach got me a new camera for my birthday.
circa 2010
I wanted a nicer camera than a point and shoot, so Zach and his dad scoured the internet for a nice one for me. His dad bought one just like mine a few weeks prior. They ended up finding this one unused on Ebay, but it didn't have a box or the manual. 
It obviously has an automatic setting, so every time I've used it I just kept it on automatic.

The other day I decided I want to learn more about my camera, so I went online and found the manual for my camera and printed it. All 123 pages of it.

While it was printing, I decided to play around a little bit with the other settings and captured these shots.
Isn't she cute? She's going to be my model as I learn more about my camera.

And anyone who has any photography skills or advice to tell me would be greatly appreciated! :)

5 comments:

Karla said...

Awww!! =) Love the puppy pics!

Laurie @ Disney 'n Diapers said...

Your puppy is sooo stinkin cute! I've had my canon rebel for almost 3 years and it still never comes off auto mode. I would really love to take a class to teach me how to take better pictures!

Brandy said...

Focus on learning arperture and shutter speed settings. I shoot a lot in manual with my DSLR, but it's constant adjustment of settings. I'm still learning myself.
But once I can get my settings right for the shot, I usually LOVE the way it turns out.
Those are the top two things I would suggest focusing on. and ISO.
:-)
Excited that you can finally learn more about it!

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

Yay! New camera! puppies make the best models and I can tell you have a super model :)

Trish said...

I'm learning a new camera too. Isn't it fun? I'm not sure what your camera's capabilities are in manual mode and the settings you're able to adjust, but you probably need to learn about the exposure triangle. This is a pretty good overview: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-exposure.htm

And www.iheartfaces.com is an AWESOME resource for beginning photographers

I'm still pretty new to all this myself but if you have questions I'll do my best to help out. At the very least I can maybe point you in the right direction :)